Since 1999, Riverlife has worked to create, activate, and celebrate Pittsburgh’s riverfronts. A nonprofit leader in building a community vision for Pittsburgh’s riverfronts, Riverlife has overseen a $150 million investment in the city’s waterfront transformation, catalyzing $4.2 billion in related economic development, arts and culture, and ecological sustainability on or adjacent to the city’s riverbanks. We center our work on the belief that the riverfronts belong to everyone, and world-class riverfront experiences can be created for all using community-driven, equitable development and high-quality, regenerative design. Learn more at RiverlifePGH.org.
The Development Internship at Riverlife will provide practical hands-on training and experience while assisting Riverlife in achieving long-term objectives. The Development Intern is a member of Riverlife’s External Affairs department. The Intern will gain experience in organizational management and fundraising practices applicable throughout the nonprofit sector, assist in planning special events, and play a key role in implementation of Riverlife’s development and donor relations plan. This is a part-time, seasonal internship requiring 15-20 hours per week between May – August 2023 reporting to the Director of Development.
Key Responsibilities and Qualifications include:
Fundraising and Donor Communications
- Support data management projects that ensure optimal health of Riverlife’s Salesforce database and Campaign Monitor email marketing systems
- Conduct prospect research on prospective corporate, foundation, and individual donors
- Conduct research on best practices and trends in fundraising and donor communications
- Assist staff in developing and updating content for donor communication, Riverlife’s website, and other projects as needed
- Assist staff in producing Riverlife’s annual fundraiser event Party at the Pier on Friday, August 18, 2023 and the Party at the Pier preview on Wednesday, May 10, 2023
- Assist in additional community programs and riverfront activation programming, as needed, including pop-up events, community festivals, public art initiatives, and other activities to make Pittsburgh’s riverfronts cleaner, safer and more fun for everyone.
- Attend required meetings; assist with note taking and preparing materials for reports
- Maintain organizational records, files, and databases.
- Assist other staff members with day-to-day office administration as needed.
- Other related duties as assigned.
Experience & Abilities:
- Demonstrated interest in Riverlife’s mission
- Ability to communicate effectively and professionally, both verbally and in writing
- Ability to manage multiple projects and disciplines simultaneously
- Positive and professional attitude; strong work ethic; excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a small, non-profit environment
- Fluency in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Google Suite
- Experience working with a CRM system or Salesforce a plus
- Familiarity with Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator a plus
- Familiarity with WordPress or similar website content management systems a plus
- Must be available for Party at the Pier on Friday, August 18, 2023 and the Party at the Pier Preview on Wednesday, May 10, 2023. Additional occasional evening and weekend hours may be required.
- Light physical activity, including some lifting of items up to 25 lbs. may be requested
This is a part-time, seasonal internship and reports to the Director of Development. A monthly stipend of $1,000 per month will be provided. A flexible, hybrid work environment is available, with some work taking place remotely and some required in-person hours taking place at the Riverlife offices at One North Shore Center, 12 Federal St., Suite 130, Pittsburgh, PA 15212.
How to apply:
Please submit your cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Applications accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Riverlife is an equal opportunity employer, committed to hiring and supporting a diverse workforce. Qualified individuals who bring diverse perspectives and represent marginalized communities are especially encouraged to apply.