Riverfront Planning and Project Manager – Riverlife (Pittsburgh, PA)
Download a printable PDF of the full employment opportunity
Riverlife’s mission is to reclaim, restore and promote Pittsburgh’s riverfronts to make them the environmental, recreational, cultural and economic hub for the people of this region and our visitors.
Riverlife works with developers, land owners, neighborhood groups, and elected officials on issues of riverfront design, access, amenities and programming in Pittsburgh and throughout the region.
The Riverfront Planning and Project Manager is key to the continued implementation of Riverlife’s Vision Plan for Pittsburgh’s Riverfronts and Three Rivers Park, and will work closely with the CEO on future organizational planning efforts. The Riverfront Planning and Project Manager will work with the Riverfront Design Committee to coordinate and facilitate Riverlife’s design review process, ensuring that riverfront projects are consistent with design goals, standards, and guidelines. The Riverfront Planning and Project Manager also serves as a project manager on Riverlife-led projects and activation efforts, and in conjunction with private and public development projects within Three Rivers Park. This is a full-time, exempt position reporting to the CEO.
Planning and Implementation:
Serve as key planner for the organization on projects including, but not limited to the following:
- Work with CEO on implementation of Riverlife’s key planning documents, and coordination of future planning efforts.
- Facilitate Riverlife’s design review process by serving as liaison to the Riverfront Design Committee and riverfront project proponents, to ensure riverfront projects comport with design standards and guidelines.
- Work to reposition Riverfront Design Committee as the standard bearer for development projects in the RIV.
- Monitor the public review process, including the City Planning Commission, Zoning Board and Art Commission, and assist in preparing letters of support & testimony with recommendations in coordination with the Riverfront Design Committee.
- Track all projects where support has been conditional on implementation of Riverlife’s recommendations through construction.
- Work with key staff to develop plans and resources that support ongoing care & maintenance along the riverfronts.
Lead on all tasks related to the execution of projects, including, but not limited to the following:
- Work with CEO to identify and detail remaining intervention points for completing and incrementally expanding Three Rivers Park (The Loop).
- Work with CEO to develop a pipeline of Riverlife-led projects, developing project concepts and feasibility
- Serve as project manager on Riverlife-led capital and activation projects, including development of project budgets and timelines, predevelopment work including planning and design development, project management through construction, and representing Riverlife at all project meetings.
- Provide technical assistance to project team ensure that Riverlife projects comport with design standards and guidelines.
- Assist project team with public review processes and serve as a liaison with public partners throughout the project.
- Work with Riverlife staff and consultants on public outreach efforts, and to communicate project information and prepare presentation packages.
Administration and Operations:
- Attend required staff, committee and board meetings; assist with the taking of minutes, preparing of reports, and setting of agendas.
- Maintain organizational records, files, and databases.
- Assist other staff members with day-to-day office administration.
- Other related duties as assigned.
This is an ideal position for the professional with 5+ years of demonstrated success in urban planning with a strong design background and project management experience, and with demonstrated interest and experience working with public-private partnerships that intersect with the public realm.
- Bachelor’s degree and measured success in urban planning, program/ project management, landscape architecture, urban design, architecture, engineering, community and economic development or construction administration.
- Strong understanding of urban residential and commercial real estate development.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to establish and maintain relationships with a broad and diverse constituency.
- Strong organizational skills with a keen attention to detail.
- Demonstrated analytic, conceptual, planning and implementation skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively and professionally, both verbally and in writing. Prior professional writing experience preferred.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and disciplines simultaneously.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment concerning budget expenditures.
- Positive and professional attitude; strong work ethic.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a small, non-profit environment.
- Flexibility to attend meetings and work events on evenings and weekends as needed, and to travel occasionally for work-related meetings, trainings and conferences. Reliable transportation a plus.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, Google Suite, and Adobe Creative Suite. Experience with GIS a plus. Database design and management a plus.
This is a full-time exempt position and reports to the President & CEO. The salary range is $70,500-$75,000, commensurate with experience. Riverlife offers comprehensive employee benefits, including medical, dental, and vision insurance for staff and family members, retirement plan contribution, and generous paid time off.
Riverlife is an equal opportunity employer, committed to hiring and supporting a diverse workforce. Qualified individuals who bring diverse perspectives and represent marginalized communities are especially encouraged to apply.