Project and Planning Internship – Riverlife (Pittsburgh, PA)
Riverlife envisions a Pittsburgh where thriving world-class riverfronts are essential to the region and belong to everyone. Our mission is to create, activate, and celebrate Pittsburgh’s riverfronts, connecting people through exceptional places and experiences.
The Project and Planning Internship at Riverlife will provide practical hands-on training and experience while assisting Riverlife in achieving long-term objectives. The Project and Planning Intern provides assistance on several key organizational planning efforts, carries out tasks to support Riverlife projects and programs and community engagement efforts, and assists with organization-wide operations and administration tasks.
This is a part-time, seasonal internship requiring approximately 15 hours/week between March-August 2021. This position reports to the Project and Planning Manager. Due to preventative measures around COVID-19, the majority of this position will be completed remotely or out in the field, though some tasks are required to take place at the Riverlife offices following the organization’s health and safety guidelines.
Click the bar below for more information
Project & Planning Support
Provide support for Riverlife planning efforts, projects, and programs including:
- Provide support for stakeholder engagement meetings, Design Review Committee meetings, etc., including scheduling and confirming attendees, preparing meeting packets and materials, note taking, meeting follow-up, and technical support during virtual meetings.
- Assist with program development and rollout for Artwalk on the Allegheny, Pittsburgh Creative Corps, and other riverfront activation programming.
- Conduct field work, including inspecting & tracking care and maintenance issues for Riverlife projects and programs, photography for use in Riverlife communications, placing of signage, field recon, etc.
- Perform research and analysis of previous Riverlife projects to support future planning for large scale riverfront restoration projects.
- Assist with online file server data migration by performing data cleanup and organization for Riverlife projects and programs.
- Assist with scanning and organizing project files.
- Attend required meetings; assist with note taking and preparing materials for reports
- Maintain organizational records, files, and databases.
- Assist other staff members with day-to-day office administration as needed.
Other related duties as assigned.
Experience & Abilities:
- Background or demonstrated interest in urban planning, landscape architecture, urban design, environmental studies, architecture, engineering, community and economic development, and/or riverfront improvement projects.
- Prior experience in administrative work in a nonprofit or office setting strongly preferred.
- Project management experience, and ability to manage multiple projects and disciplines simultaneously.
- Strong organizational skills with a keen attention to detail.
- Ability to communicate effectively and professionally, both verbally and in writing.
- Positive and professional attitude; strong work ethic.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a small, non-profit environment.
- Flexibility to attend meetings and work events on evenings and weekends as needed. Reliable transportation a plus.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office and Google Suite. Required. Experience with ArcGIS, Adobe Creative Suite, and/or Miro and a plus.
- Photography, video editing and/or graphic design skills a plus.
- Light physical activity, including some lifting of items up to 25 lbs., may be requested
This is a part-time, seasonal internship and reports to the Project and Planning Manager. The stipend for the Internship is $1,000 per month.
How to apply:
Send cover letter, resume, and any applicable work samples to email@example.com. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until position is filled.
Riverlife is an equal opportunity employer, committed to hiring and supporting a diverse workforce. Qualified individuals who bring diverse perspectives and represent marginalized communities are especially encouraged to apply.