Communications and Events Internship – Riverlife (Pittsburgh, PA)
Download a printable PDF of the full employment opportunity
Riverlife’s mission is to reclaim, restore and promote Pittsburgh’s riverfronts to make them the environmental, recreational, cultural and economic hub for the people of this region and our visitors.
Riverlife works with developers, land owners, neighborhood groups, and elected officials on issues of riverfront design, access, amenities and programming in Pittsburgh and throughout the region.
The Communications and Events Internship at Riverlife will provide practical hands-on training and experience while assisting Riverlife in achieving long-term objectives. The Communications and Events Intern is responsible for managing and creating content for Riverlife’s social media accounts under the direction of senior staff. The Intern will also assist in producing Riverlife’s annual fundraiser event, Party at the Pier. This is a part-time, seasonal internship for Summer 2020, reporting to the Vice President, Communications & Outreach.
- Further developing the organization’s social media voice by writing and publishing original content on Riverlife’s Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram accounts.
- Use social media to highlight Pittsburgh’s riverfront transformation and positive organizational accomplishments.
- Develop and implement a strategy for growing audience engagement.
- Manage a budget for paid promoted posts and related campaigns.
- Assist senior staff in producing Riverlife’s annual fundraiser event Party at the Pier on Saturday, August 29, 2020.
- Assist in developing and implementing additional community programs and riverfront activation programming, including riverfront pop-up events, health and wellness programs, public art initiatives and other activities to make Pittsburgh’s riverfronts cleaner, safer and more fun for everyone.
- Attend required meetings; assist with note taking and preparing materials for reports
- Maintain organizational records, files, and databases.
- Assist other staff members with day-to-day office administration as needed.
- Other related duties as assigned.
- Background or demonstrated interest in urban planning, landscape architecture, urban design, environmental studies, community and economic development, and/or riverfront improvement projects
- Prior professional experience posting and promoting original and engaging content on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and YouTube
- Prior experience planning special events
- Excellent writing skills for both professional and social media audiences
- Fluency in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint and Excel
- Familiarity with Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator a plus
- Familiarity with WordPress or similar website content management systems a plus
- Photography, video editing and/or graphic design skills a plus
- Must be available for Party at the Pier on Saturday, August 29, 2020. Additional occasional evening and weekend hours may be required
- Light physical activity, including some lifting of items up to 25 lbs., may be requested
This is a part-time, seasonal internship and reports to the Vice President, Communications & Outreach. The internship pays $15.00/hour. The internship is at the Riverlife offices Downtown, 707 Grant Street, #3500, Pittsburgh, PA 15219.
How to apply:
Send cover letter, resume, one sample of professional or academic writing, and two samples of writing or posts intended for a social media audience, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until position is filled.
Riverlife is an equal opportunity employer, committed to hiring and supporting a diverse workforce. Qualified individuals who bring diverse perspectives and represent marginalized communities are especially encouraged to apply.